Black Sesame Milk is a rich, nutty, smooth, wholesome and delicious nutrient packed delight. Heat it topped with a dollop of coconut cream for a wonderfully warm latte or add ice for a refreshing summer latte!
Everyone knows black sesame seeds for their dark colour and peanut butter-like flavour, but did you know that they’re rich in minerals and boast many health benefits? Black sesame lattes are up their with turmeric lattes and matcha lattes, they’re delicious while being highly nutritious!
Benefits Of Black Sesame Seeds
- High in minerals such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, copper, phosphorus and iron which help to protect the bones, aid with anxiety and support the immune system.
- Contain healthy polyunsaturated fats which help to regulate blood pressure levels, lower cholesterol, support the nervous system and produce energy.
- High in B vitamins which are important for energy, brain function and preventing infections.
- Contain the antioxidants sesamin and sesamolin which help to prevent degenerative diseases.
- In Traditional Chinese Medicine they’ve been used for centuries to heal numerous ailments from lower back pain to greying hair to dizziness.
For this recipe all you need are 2 simple ingredients – raw black sesame seeds and dates! Just like making almond milk from scratch you can make black sesame milk using the same process.
Always soak sesame seeds in water for 4-8 hours before using them. Soaking them removes phytic acid (an anti-nutrient that impairs the absorption of minerals) which means that digestion and absorption will be a lot easier/better. We don’t want all of those valuable nutrients to go to waste!
Once you’ve drained and rinsed the seeds all there is left to do is to blend! A high speed blender works best but if you don’t have one, a regular blender will do the job (there will just be more leftover pulp). Blend for at least 1-2 minutes to achieve a smooth and creamy milk. Strain with a fine mesh strainer or nut milk bag and voila, fresh black sesame milk!
I’ve always loved the flavour of black sesame and having a whole cup full feels like heaven! If you love the rich and nutty flavour of black sesame you are sure to fall in love with this creamy milk. Hot or cold, I hope that you enjoy this nourishing drink as much as I do and happy eating always!
Black Sesame Milk
- 1/2 cup black sesame seeds, soaked 4 hours or overnight
- 3 cups water
- 4 soft Medjool dates
- pinch sea salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut cream, optional for latte
- Place the sesame seeds a in medium sized bowl and cover with water. Let them soak at room temperature for at least 4 hours or they can be left overnight.
- Drain and rinse the soaked sesame seeds and place into a high speed blender. Add 3 cups water and blend for 1-2 minutes. Add the dates (pits removed) and sea salt to the blender and blend for another minute.
- Using a nut milk bag or a fine mesh strainer strain the milk. Best enjoyed immediately or within the same day. It can be sealed and stored in the fridge for 1-2 days but make sure to shake before drinking as it will seperate.
- To enjoy as a latte pour the strained milk into a small pot. Heat on low until heated through, making sure not to let it boil. Serve in a mug with a dollop of coconut cream and add a bit of maple syrup if you prefer it sweeter. Enjoy!