These vegan rum balls are fudgy, rich and deliciously decadent! Made with walnuts, almond butter, cacao powder, rum, dark chocolate and sweetened with dates, they have all the flavour of a classic rum ball but with a healthy twist!
This simple recipe can be put together in less than 30 minutes. All you need to do is process the nuts until they’re finely ground and then add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor until it forms a large sticky ball. The dough may seem too sticky to work with at first, but once you pack it into a large ball it becomes easy to break off small pieces to roll.
Once you’ve rolled out all of the balls, toss them in cacao powder. They can be eaten right away but I think they’re best once they’ve firmed up a bit in the fridge.
You can also try rolling them in coconut flakes, chopped toasted nuts, dipping them in dark chocolate or even plain they are delicious.
Why You Will Love These Vegan Rum Balls
✓ Soft, creamy and smooth filling
✓ Rich and decadent like traditional rum balls
✓ Packed with nourishing whole ingredients
✓ Super easy – can be made in 15 minutes
✓ Perfect afternoon pick-me-up
✓ Can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge or freezer
✓ Great for holiday entertaining and gifting
✓ Healthy way to satisfy those chocolate cravings!
Looking For More Chocolate Recipes?
I hope you enjoy this simple and healthy version of rum balls as much as I do and have a wonderful holiday season! And happy eating always! 🙂
Vegan Rum Balls
- 3/4 cup walnuts cashew or almonds work too
- 7 large soft Medjool dates
- 4 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon strong brewed coffee or expresso
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate, or about 2 tablespoons melted
- pinch sea salt
- extra cacao powder for rolling
- Start by melting the chocolate. Place the dark chocolate in a bowl and put it on top of a pot filled with simmering water (double boiler method). Let the chocolate melt, about 5-8 minutes stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime brew your coffee and set aside.
- Place the walnuts in a food processor and pulse until it becomes a fine meal. Add the pitted dates, rum, cacao powder, almond butter, maple syrup, brewed coffee and sea salt. Process until all of the ingredients are blended and it forms a large ball. Add the melted dark chocolate and process until incorporated.
- Remove the mixture from the food processor with a spatula and using your hands pack it into a large ball. Divide the mixture into 10 pieces. Roll each piece into a smooth ball with your hands. If the mixture to too wet to roll into balls place it in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- Once all of the balls are rolled fill a bowl with a few tablespoons of cacao powder and toss to coat. You can also try coating them with coconut flakes, crushed nuts or they can be left plain.
- Place into the fridge and let set for 20-30 minutes. Store in an air tight container in the fridge for 4-5 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Enjoy!